Sunday 25 August 2013

Beauty Bits - My Thoughts on the Mac Illustrated Face Kit (Plum)



I was just having "a quick look" at the Mac counter the other day, when this beautiful palette caught my eye, and despite trying to resist, I ended up walking out with it. Just look how gorgeous it is! 

To start off with, the packaging is just divine. It's sleek and compact with a decent sized mirror and magnetic closure. The artwork, designed by fashion designer Rebecca Moses, gives a unique twist that just adds that bit of extra "fun". I also really like that there is a cover over the lipsticks to stop them getting messy!


 L-R: Mocha, Yoghurt, Plum Reduction, Romance Me, Heather Belles, Blankety, Syrup

Moving onto the actual products - the kit comes with:

Matte Powder Blush in Mocha
This is a really lovely matte,  plum-pink with a slight brown tinge, which goes perfectly with the eyeshadows, and is particularly great for winter when you want a slightly deeper blush.  It's pigmented, but not overly so, which makes it very easy to use and just gives a lovely flush to the cheeks. I've had my eye on Mocha for quite a while now, and I figured this was the perfect time to pick it up.

Matte Eyeshadow in Yoghurt
A matte, soft pale pink which looks more of a white/cream colour with only the very slightest hit of pink when applied (on me at least).

Satin Eyeshadow in Plum Reduction
This is described as a light satin brown. It also has a slight plum tone to it.

Lustre Eyeshadow in Romance Me
Described as a warm plum with gold-toned pearl.

Satin Eyeshadow in Heather Belles
Described as an intense black, however I think its more of a charcoal with a slight grey/blue tone to it. It's not really a true black in my opinion. 

Amplified lipstick in Blankety
This is described as a soft pink beige. This is the only colour that I'm not particularly in love with, it's a bit too beige for my lips and kind of washes me out. I never wear nude lipstick colours though, so maybe it's just that I'm not used to it. 

Lustre lipstick in Syrup 
Described as a "cloudy pink", this is a really lovely lipstick. It's a perfect "my lips but better" colour, as cheesy as that is. It has just a hint of plumy-purple and is very natural. The lustre finish goes on so smoothly and feels really nice and moisturising.


Overall I think this is a really great palette. I rationalised buying it because for what you get it really is pretty good value, and it will be perfect for travelling. It's so versatile as well, allowing for a nice light day-time look that can be darkened up for night. So far, I've just been using Yoghurt all over the lid, with Plum Reduction in the crease, and Heather Belles smudged along the lash line. I usually wear very neutral, natural coloured shadows (when I bother to wear eyeshadow at all), so this is  a nice way to add a bit of colour with very subtle pinky-plum tones.

These Illustrated Kits are available at David Jones and Myer now if you wanted to check them out and cost $115. Expensive I know, but much less that you would pay if you bought everything individually!  I've only recently started using Mac, but from watching Youtube videos the list of products I'd like to try is quite extensive, so it is nice to be able to try out a few different things and not have to spend (too much of a) fortune!



Let me know what you think of the palette, and also your favourite Mac products!

Love Lauren
xxx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished