Saturday 8 November 2014

My Current Obsession - Taylor Swift's 1989


I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan, so I was very keen to get my hands on her latest album - 1989.
It's being described as her "first official pop album" and Taylor has said she was inspired by music from the late 80s, in particular the year she was born.

 I must admit I was a little unsure of what to expect from it, considering I loved her more country style, but I'm happy to report that it is seriously awesome and has been on repeat since I got hold of it last week. 

Clearly I'm not alone in my love for it, as the album sold 1.287 million copies in its first week! 

It's different, that's for sure - definitely much more poppy, more electronic, and (I don't even know if this is a proper term) more "layered" than her usual style. Despite the differences though, the songs are still unmistakably Taylor Swift. They're catchy, fun, and lyrically clever, which is one of my favourite things about her songs. She has such a way with words, and I feel like the more I listen, the more I grow to love them.

I don't know a whole lot about music from the 80s, but I do feel like there were some more contemporary influences too. Some of her songs have a touch of a Lana Del Rey vibe (Wildest Dreams), and some even remind me a little of Lorde.

It's hard to choose favourites, but my top pick would definitely have to be "Blank Space". It's clever and kind of cheeky, showing she's not afraid to poke fun at herself and the way she's often been portrayed as a boy-crazy serial dater.

I picked up the Deluxe version, which came with three bonus tracks and three songwriting voice memos. The bonus tracks "Wonderland" and "New Romantics" are actually some of my favourites, so I would definitely recommend getting the Deluxe version! The voice memos are interesting too, showing three different ways that she goes about writing songs. She's just so darn talented!

Anyway, that's my two cents.... I just wanted to put it out there.
I've always had a bit of a girl-crush on Taylor, and in my eyes she can do no wrong.

Have you picked up 1989?
What do you think of it? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Lots of Love
Lauren
xxx


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished